When will my child need to wear a face covering at school?
The well-being and safety of pupils, staff and all associates with Etone college is our number one priority.
We are issuing this updated information following recent changes to Government guidance. This guidance is kept under constant review which may change again over time, e.g. local lockdowns. If they do change, we will contact you as soon as possible.
Etone College encourages the wearing of face coverings in shared spaces where social distancing outside of year group bubbles is harder to maintain - for example, corridors. All face coverings should be of plain design with no logos.
- They’ll need to wear it when they move through shared indoor areas of the school where it’s difficult to stick to social distancing. This includes corridors and common rooms.
- They won’t need to wear it outside or in their classrooms.
- Your child needs to come to school with: A face covering. We’d recommend a reusable one so that they can use it more than once, as they’ll need to take it on and off several times during the school day. If this isn’t an option, they will need to bring in several single-use face coverings each day. Their face covering should be secured to your child’s head using ear loops only.
- A sealable plastic bag to keep their face-covering in when they’re not using it so that it doesn’t contaminate (or get contaminated by) other surfaces in school.
- Reusable and single-use face coverings are available to buy in shops or online.
- Instructions from the government on how to make a cloth face covering can be found HERE.
- Supervise your child if they’ll be making it themselves.
- Watch the video from the World Health Organisation below with your child so they know how to wear their face covering safely.
- Their face-covering needs to cover their nose and mouth when they’re wearing it They shouldn’t touch the front of the face-covering or the part that’s touched their mouth or nose.
- They should wash their hands before and after touching the face covering, including to take it off or put it on. They should store it in an individual, sealable plastic bag between uses.
- If it becomes damp, they shouldn’t wear it, and they should replace it carefully.
- Single-use face coverings should be disposed of after use (not in a recycling bin).
- Reusable face coverings will need to be washed at the end of each day, ready for your child to wear the next day.
- You can wash and dry reusable face coverings with normal laundry – follow the washing instructions for the fabric and use normal detergent.
- They won’t need to wear one in school.
- Please let us know by contacting using the main school phone number if your child is exempt so that we don’t ask them to wear a face-covering.
- This guidance on wearing face coverings doesn’t apply to children under the age of 11.
- We’ll have a small supply of spares available at school.
- To be safe in the knowledge that everyone has one, please make sure your child has their own so that we can keep our supply of spares for emergencies.